Thursday, July 7, 2016

Stage 5 - BMC's Day

Greg Van Avermaet: “It feels great. I was never dreaming about the Yellow Jersey but it is a big dream that has come true. I was happy with the stage win last year, but now another stage win and the Yellow Jersey, I think it’s once in a lifetime for me and I’m going to enjoy it as much as possible tomorrow.”

“I felt pretty good. Grivko was not working at the beginning, Majka was not working, so me and Thomas De Gendt did a really good job. We were the strongest guys from the break I think, and we made the race hard and we saw that the peloton wouldn’t come back on this steep climb. I felt pretty good and I just went on my own because I was strong enough to hold it to the line.”

“I think for my type of rider it’s really hard to get the Yellow Jersey and I’m so happy that I have it. The stage win is something but wearing yellow is the most beautiful thing I think for a cyclist.”

 

Spectator: "Hey Greg, you forgot your Wolfpack jersey!"

Richie Porte: “I was comfortable. Tejay and I have shown that we can work together and Damiano Caruso worked well and put us in a really good position. I knew that those descents were going to be crucial. At the end of the day, it’s a great day for the team. It’s not nice to have lost time like that [flat tire on stage 2] but you know, you just keep fighting each day I suppose. The signs are good, I had good legs and it’s quite exciting.”

Tejay van Garderen: “Greg certainly looked like he had good form today. It was a super impressive ride and great for the team, and great for Greg as well with the season he’s had, so he really deserves it. Tomorrow I’m sure we’ll help to control the breakaway but I don’t even expect us to have to do much work to bring them in because the sprinters’ teams will probably want to pull back the breakaway. I think we’ll just enjoy the day in yellow, stay relaxed and get ready for the Pyrenees.”

But the best account of all, I think is from Thomas de Gendt:


 

TDG certainly didn't look like he had anything left. Jonty will be hoping he can make another appearance later in the tour...
 
7 Prizes for Stage 5 Rider Owner
Winner of Stage $12.00 98 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) Hanns
Yellow Jersey $7.50 98 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) Hanns
Green Jersey $7.50 32 Peter Sagan (Svk) Glenn
Polka Dot Jersey $7.50 163 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Jonty
White Jersey $7.50 181 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Simmsy 
Most Combative Rider $3.00 163 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Jonty
Lanterne Rouge $2.50 146 Michael Mørkøv (Den) Pinkers

No comments:

Post a Comment